Matcha Cheesecake (No Bake)
The first time we tried matcha with cream cheese, we knew we had a fun, easy-to-prep dish in the making. As it turns out, earthy, nutty and floral notes pair quite well with rich, tangy and buttery flavors. Best served in cheesecake form, requiring no baking at all, our Matcha No Bake Cheesecake is something you won’t want to miss. Go big on the matcha for your extra boost of caffeine, nutrients and sweetness, without the sugary hangover.
Makes one 15 cm (6 in) cake
For the crust:
- 70 pitted dates (about 5 large dates)
- 55g roasted cashews
- 20g almond flour
- Pinch of salt
- Oil/vegan butter for greasing a pan
For the cheesecake layer:
- 300g raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 100g refined coconut oil
- 85g full fat coconut milk
- 70g lemon juice (from about 1.5 lemons)
- 110g agave syrup
- Pinch of salt
- .5 tsp vanilla paste or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 7g Nekohama Matcha
For the matcha glaze layer:
- 50 ml water
- 50 ml full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1g agar agar
- 4g Nekohama Matcha
To make the crust:
- Blitz dates in a food processor to chop them up roughly.
- Add roasted cashews and almond flour and blend until crumbly. The mixture should stick together easily when pinched with your fingers.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and lined 15 cm (6 in) springform pan (or any pan with a removable bottom).
- Press down with a spatula or a cup and put in fridge while you make the filling.
To make the cheesecake:
- Place all ingredients but Matcha into a high speed blender and blend until very smooth.
- Set aside 1 cup of batter.
- Add Matcha to the rest of the batter and blend well.
- Pour Matcha batter into a pan and put in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set.
- Spread the remaining cup of batter on top and put in the freezer for another 30 minutes.
To make the matcha glaze layer:
- In a sauce pan, combine water, milk, sweetener and Matcha
- Put on a low heat and mix until there are no matcha lumps left.
- Add agar agar, bring to gentle boil and boil for 3 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let it cool while mixing consistently.
- Pour over the cake, tap out any bubbles and return the pan to the freezer for another 3-4 hours.
- When ready to serve, take out of the freezer and let it thaw for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice and serve!